Monday, March 28, 2005
2005 Jaldi Quiz - 6
1. The Italian for this word is "slave", However off late this word has been hogging headlines all over the US for other reasons. What is the word ?
Answer: Schiavo (in the headlines due to the Terri Schiavo case)
2. What is a Perkins Brailler ?
Answer: The Perkins Brailler is a simple, inexpensive typewriter used to write Braille.
3. If the Red Ribbon is used as a symol for AIDS awareness, what does a Yellow ribbon symbolize ?
Answer: A yellow ribbon is a symbol associated with those waiting for the return of a loved one or of military troops who are temporarily unable to come home.
4. Seeking truth from facts is the motto of which political party?
Answer: Chinese Communist Party
5. Who are said to be belonging to the Sandwich generation ?
Answer: People who have to support both their children as well as their parents.
2005 Jaldi Quiz - 5
1. What is the claim to fame of a company called Scaled Composites ?
Answer: They recently developed the Global Flyer used by Steve Fossett for his record breaking flight. They also developed Spaceship One
2. Connect 55170-054,Camp Cupcake,Martha Helen Kostyra .
Answer: Martha Stewart (55170-054 was her Prison number, Camp Cupcake is how the Alderson Federal Prison Camp is referred to (where she was housed). The last is her maiden name)
3. Which electric supply company recently came out with an Electricity Bill in Braille ?
Answer: Reliance Energy
4. Sanjay Dutt's recently launched company is called SON. What does SON stand for ?
Answer: Son of Nargis
5. In computer storage media, what does WORM stand for ?
Answer: Write Once Read Many Times
Why is March 14th celebrated as the Official Pi (the mathematical Pi) day ?
Answer: March 14, written 3-14 in the USA date format, is the official day for Pi Day derived from the common three-digit approximation for the number i.e. 3.14
2005 Jaldi Quiz - 4
1. The Currency of this country had to be revalued recently since the many zeroes in the former currency was causing technical difficulties in accounting, statistic records,and data processing programs, as well as in various payment systems.Therefore, the international payment and exchange systems, which are shown by a maximum of 14-digit figures failed to recognize this currency. Name the country and the currency.
2. Which television channel is jointly owned by Microsoft and General Electric ?
3. Charlie Lubin, a bakery entrepreneur, decided to name his new line of cheesecakes after his daughter. His company was purchased in 1956 by Consolidated Foods, where Mr. Lubin continued to serve as a senior executive for many years. In 1985, Consolidated Foods changed its name to the present name. Although the daughter has never had a management role at the corporation, she has appeared in some television advertisements for the bakery products. Today she is a philanthropist who spends most of her time supporting the education and advancement of women and girls in science. Name the daughter.
Answer: Sara Lee
4. The letters 'T' and 'G' will shortly lose their present meaning to traders on the New York Stock Exchange. What do they stand for?
Answer: T for ATT (to be taken over by SBC), G for Gillette (to be taken over by Proctor and Gamble)
5. Why were artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude in the news recently ?
Answer: The Gates in Central Park, New York.
2005 Jaldi Quiz - 3
1. If John Doe:USA, then ___:Internet.
Answer: B1FF (B1FF as the most famous pseudonym on the Internet. The comparison has been drawn taking into account the anonymity associated with both the names).
2. Which newspaper in its first edition said ""We publish today the first issue of the ____, and we intend to issue it every morning (Sundays excepted) for an indefinite number of years to come.".
Answer: New York Times
3. The Duleep Trophy this year has teams from the 5 zones in India and the Bangladesh Cricket Board. Which was the 6th team to participate in the tournament last year ?
Answer: England A.
4. Oscar Trivia - Cate Blanchett nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting role this year for Aviator is playing the role of an actress who herself was an Oscar Award winner. Who ?
Answer: Katherine Hepburn.
5. Awards again, Amitabh Bachchan has won two National Awards. One was the Best Actor for Agneepath. Which was the other one?
Answer: Most Promising newcomer for Saat Hindustani.
The 6th question: Which place in New York Citywas known as Longacre till 1904 ? Hint: Gangs of New York.
Answer: Times Square.
2005 Jaldi Quiz - 2
1. In Australia he is called Fred Nurk. In China, he is called Chan Siu Ming and in France, he is called Jean Dupont. How is he known in the USA ?
Answer: John Doe
2. The NHL (National Hockey League) in the US will not be played this year due to a strike after 86 years. What was the reason the NHL was not played in 1919 ?
Answer: Flu Epidemic
3. A patent application is lying in the US Patent and Trademark Office for the title of "The World's Second Home". Who has applied for this title ?
Answer: The City of New York
4. Of the Top 25 innovations in the technical world according to CNN, the Internet, Cell Phone, Personal Computers and Fiber Optics come at 1,2,3, and 4. Which innovation occupies the 5th position ?
5. What did the HOLLYWOOD Sign on Mount Lee in California originally read (until 1945) ?
2005 Jaldi Quiz - 1
1. What is common to Pooler Jones, Lazy Plate, Jayne Hill, Untorn Ribbon, Buckthorn, Barber Perfect, and Underwood Tack?
Answer: They are types of barbed wires.
2. In Latin, this word means a female animal used for breeding. It was first used in English in the 16th century to refer to the uterus or womb. In biology, it is the intercellular substance of a tissue, and in geology it is the natural material surrounding a metal or gem or fossil embedded in the earth. Commonest use is however in mathematics.
3. If an egg is candled, what is being done?
Answer: Held up to a strong light to check the freshness and quality.
4. A Sleeve and a Tray are the principal components of which everyday object?
5. This famous doctor, after graduating, commemorated the occasion with a cartoon bearing the caption "Licensed to Kill". Who?
Answer: Arthur Conan Doyle.
1. The Jet Airways IPO is on its way. Name the only airline company to be listed in India so far ?
Answer: Royal Airlines Ltd.
2. Apple dislodged Google to be the Brand of the Year for 2004. Which Asian company figures in the Top five list ?
Answer: Al Jazeera (Sony was No. 1 in the Asian segment)
3. Name the people behind the company Plan B Entertainment ?
Answer: Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston.
4. Formula 1 - Jaguar made its exit for F-1 last season. Under what name is it going to make an entry this year ?
Answer: Red Bull.
5. Connect Aishwarya Rai with WorldWise Pants Limited.
Answer: Worldwide Pants Inc. produces David Letterman's Show on CBS and Aishwarya was interviewed on this show yesterday (8th Jan,2005)
2004 Jaldi Quiz - 8
1. Connect "gamekeeper", "village leader" and "country dweller" to the Name searches in England.(on telephone directories and websites).
Answer: They are the literal meaning of the surnames: Parker, Patel and Paine.
2. What is the Hanuman Tekdi area in Vadodara, Gujarat famous or infamous for off late ?
Answer: The Best Bakery (infamous for the Best Bakery case involving Zaheera Sheikh)
3. Sterling Investment Pvt. Ltd. Are the producers of the evergreen "Mughal - e- Azam". Who owns the company ?
Answer: Shapoorji Pallonji Mistry
4. One of the first wholly made Indian commercial was for Dalda. Who sang the jingle ?
Answer: Talat Mehmood
5. What is the claim to fame of Mehnga Ram and the company "Beat-All Sports" ?
Answer: He works for the company Beat All Sports (BAS) that manufactures cricket bats for the likes of Sachin Tendulkar.
2004 Jaldi Quiz - 7
1. With which electronics company would you associate the Digital Natural Image enhancement technology?
2. This is the story of a very famous Socrates quote. Which one?
Socrates had such a cross wife, that her name, Xan-thip´pe, is still used to describe a scolding and bad-tempered woman. Whenever Xanthippe was angry, she used to scold poor Socrates roundly. He always listened without flying into a passion, or even answering her; and when her temper was too unbearable, he quietly left the house, and went about his business elsewhere. This gentleness and meekness only angered Xanthippe the more; and one day, when he was escaping as usual, she caught up a jug full of water and poured it over his head. Socrates good-naturedly shook off the water, smiled, and merely remarked to his companions,---------------.
Answer: After thunder comes rain
3. Of Chinese descent, why was US citizen Leroy Chiao become the first person to do recently?
Answer: He became the first person to vote in the American Presidential elections from space.
4. Why is Fremantle Media in the news recently?
Answer: They own the format for Indian Idol. The original program the "Idols" which premiered as "Pop Idol" on UK's ITV in 2001.
5. Sahara and Star went to court recently with regards to the "One" controversy. What change would Star do in the next three months after having agreed to the court's decision?
Answer: Star will change the logo. Star was advised by the Delhi High Court to use the word Star along with One in the logo.
6. A lady in the news controversially also edits the magazine "Communalism Combat". Who?
Answer: Teesta Setalvad.
2004 Jaldi Quiz - 6
1. The Mumbai-based BackOps is said to be a call centre-like service, providing engineering detail and structural planning services to overseas civil engineering firms. Who is said to own 83 per cent of the company's shares. (Hint: Juanita)
Answer: Rahul Gandhi
2. This company was established during 1937 by the then ruler Nalwadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar. It was converted into public sector undertaking during 1947.H N Nagaraja Murthy is the current chairman and M V Hemantha Kumar the current managing director. The company was in the news recently. Which company is being referred here.
Answer: Mysore Varnishes and Paints Limited (MVPL)
3. Which countries are referred to as the BRIC countries ?
Answer: Brazil, Russia, India and China
4. What is referred to as "literally selling India's ancient ayurvedic civilization in a jar to the world" ?
Answer: Shahnaz Hussain's age defying Diamond Collection
5. Why was Lemon Communications in the news recently?
Answer: They would handle all creative duties for Times' channel Zoom.
2004 Jaldi Quiz - 5
1. He was born Lawrence Harvey Ziegler and his numerous failed marriages is somewhat legendary. He is also credited with hosting the first worldwide phone-in television talk show. Who?
Answer: Larry King
2. This TV personality's comedy is heavily influenced by comedians Ernie Kovacs and Johnny Carson. His production company is called Worldwide Pants Incorporated . It has produced the popular TV series Everybody Loves Raymond.
Answer: David Letterman
3. This main promoters of this television company's IPO hold 32.6% each of its shares. The company has three subsidiaries ---- Media Ltd ,---- World Ltd. and --- News Ltd. The company was founded in 1988 and its Board of Directors include NR Narayana Murthy and KVL Narayan Rao. Name the company and its promoters.
Answer: New Delhi Television Ltd. (Parannoy and Radhika Roy)
4. This company's website's traffic jumped eight fold with close to 250,000 hits following a television event which received lots of media attention. The product in question costs $28,000 and 276 people received it for free during the television event. This product now also features on the reality series "Survivor". Name the product and the television event?
Answer: Pontiac's G6 Sedan / Oprah Winfrey Show 19th season
5. What would you be doing if you have "MillionaireIM" in your AOL Buddy list?
Answer: In the 2004-2005 season of the programme (Who Wants to be a Millionaire) , the format of the game will change. (Note that some of these changes only apply to certain versions) .Also, after reaching the 25,000 level, contestants are given a new lifeline, "Switch the Question". It allows them to dismiss the current question and to play a new one. However, they will not have any lifelines used on the discarded question returned to them. Finally, the "Ask the Audience" lifeline has been expanded. Instead of just the studio audience giving answers, users of the AOL Instant Messenger (sometimes referred to as IM) can participate too. If they have the name "MillionaireIM" in their buddy list, then they will receive an instant message if a contestant uses his or her "Ask the Audience" lifeline. The message will contain the question, and four possible answers, and they will send their answer back. This is the first time in history that the public has been able to interact with a game show while it is being taped. When the tape is shown, the results of the poll will first show the studio audience's response, then the IM users' response. This has been done as an effort to get everyone more involved with the program, and to interest the producers in the show once again.
I don't know whether KBC when it resumes would have these changes as well.
2004 Jaldi Quiz - 4
What shouldn't one do while queuing to see Lenin's corpse in the gruesome mausoleum on Moscow's Red Square?
Answer: Put your hands in your pockets.
2. This product is based on a software developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. It is distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc. Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group. Its Unix version contains software licensed from Mainsoft Corporation. Which product?
Answer: Internet Explorer (Click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu).
3.What is the claim to fame of the companies - Lernout and Hauspie Speech Products N.V., Bloomsbury Publishing Plc., SYNAPSE Developpement,Toulose(France) and SIGNUM Cia,Ltda,Quito,Ecuador ?
Answer: Lernout and Hauspie Speech Products N.V's International CorrectSpell is used by Microsoft for its spelling correction system in its Microsoft Office products. Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. Has developed the English thesaurus content. SYNAPSE Developpement,Toulose(France) has developed the Frech Spelling checker, hyphenator tool, dictionaries and spelling checker whereas SIGNUM Cia,Ltda,Quito,Ecuador has developed the Spanish Hypenation engine, Spelling engine and Thesaurus Engine. (Click About Microsoft Office Word on the Help menu).
4.This man who briefly worked as the finance manager of a company called Bell Equipments (manufacturers of heavy earth moving equipment) before his death, was famous and infamous for other reasons. Name him.
Answer: Hansie Cronje.
5.Which instrument literally means " made of clay " and is made out of a scooped out single block of wood , usually a neem tree or coconut ?
2004 Jaldi Quiz - 3
1. What is defined thus in music - 'To sing by rapidly alternating between natural voice and falsetto'?
2. This is about an organization's symbol. X's tree is alright but the tiger looks like some species of dog and I am afraid that the design ofa dog and a tree would arouse derision among the irreverent. X's tiger is distinctly good but the tree has spoiled it. The stem is too long and the branches too spidery.' On February 23, 1935, in the board meeting of X, it was decided to replace the lion in East India Company's Lion & Palm seal by a tiger which is more Indian. Several design's were submitted. The above was the comment of Sir James Taylor on examining various designs. Finally East India Company's seal was decided to be
continued as X's seal. Which organization ?
Answer: Reserve Bank of India
3. This term was first used in cricket early eighteenth century. It is an old middle English word and has a French origin, meaning 'not equal'. Which term ?
4. The following excerpts are from the April 26th 1996 edition of the New York Times: "Bill Gates gets the credit but somebody else did most of the work'.'For the first time in this decade something from Microsoft has been shipped on time'. 'Regardless of the problems with this one calling Microsoft Support won't help'.
'For at least another year it'll suck." What was the topic of this article?
Answer: Birth of Bill and Melinda Gates' daughter
5. If you would hear these words what would be happening - "Close the book, quench the candle, ring the bell" ?
Answer: Excommunication from the church.
Sunday, March 27, 2005
2004 Jaldi Quiz - 2
1. What is the difference between a "gorilla" and a "guerilla" brand?
Answer: Gorilla - The no. 1 brand in the category.
Guerilla - This brand niches the gorilla brand.
2. I would have been a biscuit-maker," he said, when asked in an interview what he would have been had it not been for his current job! Biscuit manufacturing wouldn't have been a problem for him, as his father has been running Luckyland Biscuits for the past three decades? Whose quote?
Answer: Muttiah Muralitharan
3. What is the claim to fame of Mr. SC Malhotra and Mr. P. Kulashekharan in the Indian Parliament ?
Answer: They are the officers responsible for the supply of the information for Wit and Humoir, Poetry and Couplets in the Lok Sabha.
4. What is the significance of the languages - Bhutani, English (UK), Nauru and Sangho in terms of the Google search Engine ?
Answer: Well all these languages had 0% progress under the Google in your Language translation status report. That was at the time of framing the question. Since then English (UK) has seen 7% progress. The rest are still at 0%.
5. Who owns the Bangalore based company ATTS - (Aviation Technology And Turbine Services)
Answer: Maqsood Ali (better known as Lucky Ali)
2004 Jaldi Quiz - 1
1. Connect the phrase "The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human" to a 23 year old student from Singapore Kimberly Yeo.
Answer: Kimberly Yeo typed this phrase in 43.24 seconds to win the SMS contest (SingTel SMS Shootout) organized by SingTel. (This record is set to feature in the Guinness Book of World Records soon). - (http://home.singtel.com/news_centre/news_releases/2004_06_27.asp)
2. Which term coined by Nima Namchu and Nitin Berry of Leo Burnett in the lead up to a Reebok campaign in 1996-97 is now synonymous with Indian Cricket?
Answer: The Wall (Rahul Dravid)
3. After finishing his B.Com, he began his career with Filix India, where he worked as a sales executive. Following a brief stint with a guest house, he took up employment in Saudi Arabia. Returning to India, he set up a manpower consultancy service. But his big opportunity to run a multi-crore business'came when he bagged a licence from the Government in '94. Who is the person referred here?
Answer: Abdul Kareem Telgi
4. Fernanda Gaitam Salom's name is a regular on Indian television (especially the couch potatoes would never miss this one). What is her/his claim to fame?
Answer: The original story for the popular soap "Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin" on Sony is by this person.
5. A TCS Question to round this one - Question from the TCS IPO Bid-Cum Application form - Why does the address: Sagardarshan 8,Worli Seaface,Mumbai feature in the form?
Answer: The address is Mr. S. Ramadorai's. (MD,TCS) The reason it features is because he is on of the Board of Directors and SEBI requires the information about the Board of Directors on the Red Herring Prospectus.
The Indian Couch Potato Quiz - The Answers
This quiz is dedicated to the Indian Couch Potato. Though I dont claim myself to be one, my trivial instincts led me to pick these questions up while watching these Saas Bahu soaps. Hope you find them "challenging". Answers in a weeks time.
Mail answers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. If Jassi works for Gulmohar, who works as a Secretary for the Chamatkar group of Industries.
Answer: Kareena Sood from Kareena Kareena (Zee TV)
2. What connects "Kyunki Saat Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi" to the movie "Aankhen" (starring Govinda)?
Answer: The Shivpuris. Ritu Shivpuri starred in Aankhen while her mother Sudha Shivpuri plays Ba in KSBKBT. Ritu's father Om Shivpuri was a popular character actor in Hindi films.
3. Earlier KSBKBT episodes carried a special thanks to Sachin Pilgaonkar (the actor director Sachin). Why ?
Answer: Sachin, the maker of the hit series Tu Tu Main Main had registered the title - Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. When approached by Jeetendra for the title, he was happy enough to give it. Hence the thanks.
4. Which fictional Radio station broadcasts at the frequency 111.1 FM ?
Answer: Radio Curry (Kareena Kareena)
5. Which former Miss India contestants now play the roles of Mother in law - Daughter in law.
Answer: Smriti Malhotra Irani and Gauri Pradhan Tejwani (in KSBKBT - Tulsi and Nandini)
6. Why does Fernando Gaitam Salom's name appear on Indian Television ?
Answer: The original screenplay of the hit series Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin is written by this guy.
7. What connects Amar Upadhyay, Inder Kumar and Ronit Roy ?
Answer: All of them played Mihir Virani on KSBKBT
8. Which TV Star also runs a Security Agency, Ace Security and Protection ?
Answer: Ronit Roy
9. The production house Optimystix Entertainment which produced the Indian Idol also produces a daily soap. Which one ?
Answer: Yeh Meri Life Hai (Sony)
10. Which television star is set to make his big screen debut in the film "Lips"?
Answer: Anuj Saxena (plays Abhay Kapoor in Kkusum on Sony)
11. Which serial had its lead going to St. Martins College ?
Answer: Yeh Meri Life Hai (Sony)
12. Which popular Indian TV villain appeared in the World’s first full length feature film sold online using peer-to-peer technology ?
Answer: Akashdeep Sehgal (Ansh Gujral - Virani from KSBKBT)
13. Identify the connection - Sunidhi Chauhan - Kareena Kareena,Shreya Ghoshal - Yeh Meri Life Hai, Shaan - Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin.
Answer: The playback for the title track of these serials
14. What is the claim to fame of Colonel Raj Kapoor in the Indian television industry ?
Answer: He produced ad directed Fauji - Shah Rukh Khan's debut serial
15. Which TV stars once represented the Baroda and Sabarkantha constituencies in the Lok Sabha ?
Answer: Deepika Chikhalia (Sita from Ramayan) and Arvind Trivedi (Ravan from Ramayan)
16. Sudhir Dalvi played the patriarch "Govardhan ....." (surname would be a giveaway) in which popular Balaji soap ?
Answer: Virani (Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bau Thi - Star Plus)
17. Which Eagle Video Film production is the most award winning show on television.
Answer: Office Office (SAB TV)
18. What connects the following BSE scrip codes wrt. Indian Television - 532299,532515 and 532529 ?
Answer: 532299 (TV Eighteen - CNBC), 532515 ( TV Today ), 532529 (NDTV)
19. What is the contribution of Mr.Anil Wanvari to the Indian television industry ?
Answer: He is the CEO of indiantelevision.com which gives away the annual Indian Telly Awards.
20. Connect the families with their serials - Viranis -, Agarwals -,Basus -,Wadhwas -,Suris -,Kapoors -.
Answer: Viranis - Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi (Star Plus)
Agarwals - Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki (Star Plus)
Basus - Kasauti Zindagi Kay (Star Plus)
Wadhwas - Kumkum Pyaara Sa Bandhan (Star Plus)
Suris - Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin (Sony)
Kapoors - Kkusum (Sony)