Sunday, July 10, 2005
2005 Jaldi Quiz - 20
Its time to come out with the answers. Once again, responses flew in from far and near.
And once again, it was the enthusiasm to which I bow. All I can write is to keep up the interest and I would try to bring in my trivial pursuits to your screens (computer screens as of now) periodically.
High fliers with a score of 7 were Chandra Sekhar Sasrula and Rakesh Taklikar.
Seasoned quizzer from Hyderabad Aravind Ghosh Suri wasn't far behind.
So here go the answers.
1. In London, they are referred to as "one-unders". In New York, they are known as "track pizzas". Who are we talking about ?
Ans: People who commit suicide by coming under the underground trains.
2. This Arabic word means 'guaranteeing each other' or joint guarantee. LIC's new international joint venture company - Indo-Saudi Insurance Company will be the first to introduce it in India. It can also be described as cooperative insurance where policyholders contribute a certain amount of money to a common pool. Each member pays his subscription (premium) to help those that need assistance. What are we talking about ?
3. Easy one. 7th July, 2005 in Headingley - Umpire Rudi Koertzen makes a "T" signal. What follows ?
Ans: The first super substitution in One Day Cricket. Vikram Solanki walking in for Simon Jones.
4. C-Sam Inc. offers a suite of secure web-based services that enables users to execute transactions in the real as well virtual worlds using mobile phones and PCs. Which famous Indian is associated with this venture ?
Ans: Sam Pitroda.
5. David Bonderman, James G. Coulter and William S. Price, III founded this firm in 1993 with offices in San Francisco, Washington, New York, Fort Worth, and London. It has significant investments in many important brand-name companies including Burger King, Seagate, J.Crew, Bally, and Ducati. This company hogged the headlines last week on account of an Indian partner. Name the company and the Indian partner.
Ans: The Texas Pacific Group / Vivek Paul who recently quit Wipro.
6.1 Dont ask me the names of these ladies. But tell me the name of their Indian counterpart ?
Ans: Malaika Arora. The ladies can be found on the Yahoo Mail home pages.
6.2 An alumnus of the London International College of Business and Technology, has been in the news for his "exploits" elsewhere. Who is he ?
Ans: Junaid Miandad who is set to marry Mahrukh - Dawood Ibrahim's daughter.
6.3 From the world of sports, identify this once world beater in the news again.
Ans: British long distance legend Sebastian Coe.
For the Archives:
Well, the responses to the last weeks quiz was stupendous. Responses flew in from all corners of India and a few from closer New York as well.
Most of the responses I receive are from students mostly pursuing their Engineering or their Masters and sometimes responses come in from 15 and 16 year olds too.
When I was that old , how much did I know !!
But times surely have changed. Was going through blogdom and chanced upon this article on Today's kids.
Also, have been hunting for Blogs that feature quizzes or have posts related to quizzing on a periodic basis. Visitors and fellow Jaldi Quizzers may help me with more.
1. Notes and Stones - From and for the Quizzing fraternity in Pune.
2. IT Mavens - Dig into the archives and you would find some good IT quizzes.
3. Audit Trails of Self - Aaman Lamba's blog features some very good quizzes.
4. Quiz Chakra - from Shovon Chakraborty (again dig into Archives).
5. Bhrigu's Question - No quizzes but Interesting posts from the Quizman.
6. Gautam Ghosh's Quizzes - Not a Blog but Weekly Quizzes nevertheless.
Held high regards for the man before going through the above !!
Anyway, the world over it was 7/7 which hogged the headlines. The London attacks have become another pointer to the world that we live in.
Nice quiz - I'd like to have you do a guest quiz for my site, and on blogcritics.org - send me an email.
Email me at email@example.com if u r game
How can i be a regular part of this and submit answers and receive cash prizes and stuff?
my id is firstname.lastname@example.org.
keep me posted, thanx.