Sunday, July 24, 2005
2005 Jaldi Quiz - 22
Time to come out with the answers. And this time, we have a four way tie for the top spot.
As we move on, we have new enthusiasts joining in. Hope to have all of you in the regulars list in the days to come.
Aditya Pethe, Amresh Kumar , Sampreeth Kumar and Shovon Chakraborty share the top honours for the round with an identical score of 8.
As always keep your responses and suggestions flowing at email@example.com.
1. Officially titled the Public Company Accounting Reform and Investor Protection Act of 2002, it was signed into law on July 30, 2002 . It was designed to review the dated legislative audit requirements, and is considered the most significant change to federal securities laws in the United States since the New Deal in the 1930s. How do we popularly know it as ?
Ans: Sarbanes Oxley Act.
2. Cushrow Russy was his first name. How did we better know him as ?
Ans: CR Irani of The Statesman who passed away recently.
3. What is the claim to fame of the company InfoEdge India Pvt. Limited ?
Ans: It runs the portal naukri.com.
4. It was first published in New York in the late 1970s by the specialist puzzle publisher Dell Magazines in its magazine Math Puzzles and Logic Problems, under the title Number Place.The puzzle was introduced in Japan by Nikoli in the paper Monthly Nikolist. Currently, the New York Post and USA Today also publish the puzzle. How do we better know this puzzle ?
5. Also referred to as the "hathiwala cream", it is the flagship brand of GD Pharmaceuticals Ltd. On 15th August 1947, it was distributed free to anyone who asked for it during the day from two of its outlets. Name the product.
6. Visual Questions:
6.1 This was the company's logo prior to its merger in 1998. Identify the company.
Ans: Price WaterHouse prior to its merger withLybrands and Coopers.
6.2 This person's invention is credited for bringing in the era of skyscrapers. Identify him.
Ans: Elisha Graves Otis.
6.3 With which brand would you associate this company.
Ans: They manufacture the Aamar PC / Apna PC / Aamchi PC / Namma PC brand of computers.
7. Audio Questions:
7.1 Identify the singer (Clue: she is however famous for other reasons.)
Ans: Shabana Azmi from the movie Anjuman.
Ans: Satyajit Ray (from the documentary : Tagore).
For the Archives:
Another round of blasts and this time Egypt bore the brunt. With terror creeping in, closer home, the New York Penn Station was evacuated earlier in the day on account of a bomb scare.
But we all live to tell our tales. However, for 27 year old Jean Charles de Menezes, the Brazilian born electrician, that was not to be. Five shots in the back of the head and he was a man wrongly gunned down. All that his near and dear ones got were words of regret.
On the technical front, Windows' Longhorn will now be known as "Vista". For trivia sake, XP was earlier codenamed "Whistler".
In other happenings, blogdom till a few weeks back was up in arms against Parnab Mukherjee. And guess who rose in defence !! Someone who has borrowed all but the first letter of his name. The Great Bong, who has got me addicted to his blog for sure, defends all accusations in a way, only he can. Read it here. If you always believed that Laughter was the Best Medicine, this is where you should head to.