Sunday, August 07, 2005
2005 Jaldi Quiz - 24
Answer Time it is.
Amresh Kumar yet again comes up with a superlative performance.
When everyone else failed to connect Anil Ambani with the "queen", it was Amresh who mailed in the Correct connection.
Rakesh Taklikar and Sampreeth Kumar came in a close second.
As always, keep your suggestions, comments and responses flowing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. The author's preferred title for this book was "Four-and-a-Half Years Of Struggle Against Lies, Stupidity And Cowardice" but the publisher thought otherwise. In its first year in 1925, this book sold only 9000 copies. However in another 8 years time, the book sold an estimated 1.5 million copies. Name the book and its author.
Ans: Mein Kamph by Adolf Hitler.
2. Easy one, why is the company, Global Fuel Management Services in the news recently ?
Ans: It is one of the companies which have been formed as a part of the Reliance de-merger. Is a part of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Enterprises (ADA) Group.
3. Where would you come across this verse -
When Ivo goes back with the urn, the urn;
Studds, Steel, Read and Tylecote return, return;
The welkin will ring loud,
The great crowd will feel proud, Seeing Barlow and Bates with the urn, the urn;
And the rest coming home with the urn.
Ans: The Ashes Urn.
4. The beginnings of this company can be traced back to 1895. The company was then called J.W. Foster and Sons . It rose to fame after the 1924 Olympics and the film Chariots of Fire. The company was in the headlines last week. Name it.
5. Which television show gets its name from a 1956 Cole Porter song which featured in the soundtrack of the Hollywood movie High Society ?
Ans: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.
6.1 What connects both of them ?
Ans: The lady in the question is Ada Lovelace, the first lady of computing. The Connection is ADA - Anil Ambani's holding compnay - Anil Dhirubhai Ambani (ADA) Enterprises.
6.2 Identify the connection.
Ans: Adidas buying out Reebok - Reebok gets its name from the African antelope - Rhebok. The logo to the left is Adidas'.
6.3 Identify this Cricket Coach.
Ans: Bennet King, the West Indies coach.
For the Archives:
Till now, a Silver Jubilee was what I associated with Wedding anniversaries or films from the Big B , Shah Rukh Khan or the Chopras. Seeing a self creation turning 25 would be in itself a wonderful feeling, I guess.
Anyway, the world over, rains seem to have subsided and as life picks up and moves on, I guess Mumbai now has enough newspapers for its people to follow.
After the Hindustan Times, it is the Daily News and Analysis (DNA) which has hit the news stands.
Elsewhere, in the telly world, Kaun Banega Crorepati, the show which resurrected Amitabh's career is back for its second innings. This is the show that took quizzing to the pan-wallah and though a seasoned quizzer may have different opinions, no one can get away from the lure of the big bucks.
I still remember waking up in the middle of the night and trying the numbers only to find my fingers going numb after some time.
On the cricket field, the Prince is now a commoner. Whether or not he gets the crown back is another matter. But if Team India needs to have a better season, all its top guns should start firing pretty soon or else the Indian Oil Cup would continue to remain south of the Palk Strait.